The uncertainty that curbs our 20’s can be cause for potential nervous breakdowns.
The pressure to be someone else, enough to create a diamond piece.
The constant comparison with others our age, seemingly doing big things, enough to cause blood pressure.
The picture perfect life of others painted on social media, the pathway to depression.
A time in our lives that the strength and fibre of our skin is put to test.
The options are few and far between, you either survive or you don’t.
A conscious decision has to be taken to tackle the 20’s to the ground, to learn , to take criticism ,to take life as it comes and make it work for us.
A decision to ensure that the period is exactly what it is meant to be, a learning curve, to know that as the going gets tough, the tough gets going.
But you knew that,
From me to you, a few tips that have kept me sane the past few years considering that uncertainty and confusion are things I don’t take on too well.
- Spiritual contentment – learning to leave everything to God after doing my best has gone a long way into ensuring that I am not stressing out and comparing myself to others. Everyone’s walk is different and unique, I am sure that I am exactly where I am meant to be at this moment in time and so are you.
- Dancing in uncertainty – uncertainty has been that thing that has given me sleepless nights time and again and being rid of its chains is real FREEDOM! Rather than worry about the future and its uncertainties(I think I have overused the word now,gosh), I now think that the outcome can only be one of 2 things. Either it works out exactly the way I hoped OR it doesn’t and I pick up a new lesson for the next level. We live to fight another day, stronger and wiser.
- Alone time – there is nothing better than time to call yourself in to regroup. To re-strategize. To change the tactic. To pat yourself on the back and to scold yourself too. Only YOU know you, the way you do and it is amazing what our subconscious selves have to say about different matters.
- Show up – ALWAYS! Give it 110% upfront from the get go. Do not be afraid of failure, just show up and werk!
- Self Challenges – I have found that the only way to deal with my fears is to deliberately put myself in challenging situations. I am not your usual loud 20 something year old. Speaking in front of crowds is the type of thing that would make me want the ground to swallow me, however, I constantly put myself in situations where I have to speak up and make myself heard. This might have something to do with the field that I am currently in. Our recently launched YouTube channel is yet another of these challenges because while Nyambura may be made for the camera ( hey girl ), having all of you guys watch me is the real cringe moment for me.
- Dress Up – There is nothing that gives me more confidence in myself than my dress and style. Dress good, feel GOOOOD! 🙂
- Ask for help – I love to take on challenges and sometimes this means accepting to do 10 thousand things at the same time. It is no doubt that at some point the pressure will pile up. I am the type that will try to weather the storm before I can ask for a helping hand but I have learned that asking for help is not a show of weakness or failure. Sometimes, depending on where you are standing, it may just be a show of strength. It is okay to ask for help when you need it.
- Commitment – If you are going to do something and do it well, you must commit to it! You must make a deliberate choice to give your time and self to a project that you are passionate about. OR that special someone 🙂 It makes a big difference when you know that you are investing in something and you do the most to ensure that it succeeds.
- Be well read – I think I have mentioned enough times my addiction to books but only because of the impact they have had on me. I say it better on my CV…. “There is an imparting of knowledge that comes from reading that you cannot acquire from a teacher in a classroom. Individual growth requires personal initiative to grow the mind, body and spirit and there is no better way t0 achieve this than through literature.”
- Self belief – Nobody believes in me more than I do. No one in this world owes us anything and at the very least not even belief in us and our potential. This , however, should never be the reason that you never soar so high and reach the heavens or dig so deep to access the gold. Self belief has seen me be and do things I never deemed possible. Self is belief is EVERYTHING!
So go on , enjoy your glorious days, the best is yet to come.
Love and Love,